With over 339,000 increased cases confirmed last week (3/22-3/28), countries around the world have been preventing epidemic actively. There are more than 35 countries have issued emergency orders and more than 20 airlines shut down temporally, making it a new era of protectionism. The situation in China now is getting better and the economic activities have recovered gradually, but the government strengthened the entry restrictions on account of increasing foreign infection. The group order taken had come to the first peak on first week (3/1-3/7) but decreased sharply on fourth week (3/22-3/28) as a result of oversea isolation.
No one knows what will the epidemic be looked like in the future, but the most important is that we stay together, getting prepared if anything happens.
Taiwan factory (Chief Operating Officer: Kevin Chen)
- 130 cases confirmed last week, it has been two weeks that over 100 cases increased in a week in a row, bringing up to 283 total cases, of which 42 were local residences and 241 were travelers from abroad. Among the confirmed cases, 2 has died, 30 were released from quarantine, and the rest are remained hospitalized.
- Regarding to the impact of supply chain and transportation caused by lockdown of countries, we have prepared alternative plans in advance to decrease the risk of running out of raw materials. Keep steady shipment and support power supply for medical equipment.
Guangzhou MEAN WELL (General Manager: Aden Wang)
- As of March 28th, 1,475 cases were confirmed in Guangdong Province, and 1,349 were discharged from hospitals. The number of confirmed cases now is 118.
- The level of epidemic prevention and control has been upgraded, and entry into China with a current visa and residence permit is temporarily suspended. International passenger flights will be further reduced, and every airline company only retain one line to just one country and the passenger load rate of the flights shall not be higher than 75%.
- The country promotes health codes to be used throughout the country. In the future, it will be used as a real-name electronic ID certificate to gradually promote applications in subways, buses and other fields.
- Provinces started to promote consumption stimulation policies, stimulating domestic demand growth and promoting tourism, catering and other service industries.
- Schools are expected to start in April.
Suzhou MEAN WELL (General Manager: Alan Liu)
- Last week, 11 new cases confirmed in Jiangsu Province (all from abroad), bringing the total number of cases to 644, while 631 people discharged from the hospitals after recovering with a mortality rate of 0%.
- From 30th March to 13th April, schools will reopen in different batches, with epidemic prevention and control measures, such as wearing masks, body temperature monitoring, checking “Health code of Suzhou”, having lunch separately, etc.
- To stand closely together in different times, we give priority to the production of power supplies of using for epidemic prevention.
MWEU (General Manager: Coleman)
- Local epidemic situation
MWEU operation and local logistic updates
- Until 28th March, total confirmed case in the EU including UK has reached 298,461 and death toll of 18,372. It has increased more than double compared to the number a week before.
- Russian closed its international inbound and outbound air traffic on 27th March. Rest of European countries maintained same level of limitations to contain the spread of virus.
- Most of countries face shortage of ventilators and intensive care units in the hospitals. Top health authorities in several countries started projects to build ventilators to severe patients. MEAN WELL participated in several projects providing power solutions.
- MEAN WELL Europe continues to operate normally in all functions.
- The Dutch government started higher level limitation for the activities of the public. The limitation does not impact logistic and production operations.
- More international freighter flights cancelled and due to closure of border or specific area by local government, some transit time will be impacted. Our sales staff will keep close contact with customers and distributors to make sure your goods will arrive at the right time.
MEAN WELL USA (General Manager: Leo)
- Last week, 77,983 new cases were reported in the United States (an increased rate of 292%) with a total of 104,688 cases were confirmed. 894 patients were discharged (0.85% cure rate) and 260 patients died (1.63% mortality rate).
- Major Situation
- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States topped 101,000 on Friday. More confirmed cases than Italy and China.
- Unemployment claims soared to 3.3 million last week, most in history.
- Trump signs historic $2 trillion stimulus after Congress passes it Friday.
- CDC issues travel advisory for New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, urging people to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for the next two weeks.
- The freight and logistics industry maintained regular operation, no container delays were observed, and the MWUSA West / Central logistics center remains normal operation.
- In order to manufacture medical equipment related to epidemic prevention, the demand for medical power supplies has surged, and we aid as far as possible to ensure to ship on time or early.
ASIA (Overseas Sales Director: Ted Cheng/ASIAN Regional Manager: Leo Wu)
- Northeast Asia: Till to 29th March, Korea has 9,853 confirmed cases; Japan has 1,725 confirmed cases plus 712 confirmed cases in Diamond Princess, a total of 2,438 confirmed cases.
- Southeast Asia: The number of confirmed cases has risen sharply (Malaysia: 2,320; Thailand: 12,45; Indonesia: 1,155; Philippines: 1,075; Singapore:802 Vietnam: 174), Malaysia and Philippines extend lockdown period to 14th April and 13th April. Indonesia and Vietnam announced emergency state, strengthened outbreak control.
- South Asia: India has 918 confirmed cases, and implement national lockdown for 21 days to 14th April.
- New Zealand and Australia: The number of confirmed cases has risen sharply. Australia confirmed 3639 cases and in New Zealand confirmed 451 cases.
- New Zealand and Australia have implemented a ban on foreigners entering the country and blocked the border.
MEAN WELL Group Countermeasure
- Implement caring strategy, power of stability and X plan (rescue/abandon) during the epidemic time.
- Diversified portfolio, focus on domestic demand, adjustment constitution and improving branding
- Transformation: Building Automation of new factory in Suzhou, New ERP system. (E2E, EDI and online study)
MEAN WELL Group Prevention Team 2020/03/31