Last week, the global cases confirmed of coronavirus have exceeded 30.66 million, causing more than 950,000 death. The increasing rate of past 7 days compared to the past 14 days is 106.27%. In Asia, the epidemic situation is still heating up in India, so does in Indonesia, the daily confirmed cases may break new a high again. The new coronavirus in Europe has become a global epidemic hot spot once again, and the weekly number of new diagnoses exceeds the peak of the epidemic in March. The World Health Organization (WHO) said this should be regarded as a wake-up call.
The WHO pointed out that the spread rate of the new coronavirus disease across Europe is "astounding" and advised countries not to shorten the quarantine period. Anyone exposed to the new coronavirus should be quarantined for 14 days; also said that now it is not sure that whether people with antibodies are at risk of second-degree infection, it is not recommended that countries launch so-called "Immunity Passports".
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) released a monthly report that because the global economic recovery was lower than expected, it lowered its global oil demand forecasts for this and next year, and warned that the downside risk of demand next year will remain high; the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) said that although the pace of economic recovery is gradually slowing down, the global economic contraction of this year will not be as severe as previously expected, so the economic growth forecast for this year is raised to -4.5%, and China is the only country to achieve positive growth.
Taiwan Headquarters (Associate General Manager: Alex Tsai)
- According to statistics from the command center, there are a total of 91,457 new coronavirus pneumonia-related notifications (including 90,257 cases excluded) have been reported so far, of which are 506 confirmed, 414 cases abroad, 55 local cases, 36 from the Good Will fleet and 1 unknown. Among the confirmed cases, 7 people died, 479 people were released from isolation, and 20 people were hospitalized in isolation.
- The National Development Council released information on the domestic economic prosperity that the GDP growth will be 0.78% in the first half of 2020. The General Accounting Office estimates that Taiwan’s economic growth rate this year will be about 1.56%, and it is expected that the bottom of the domestic economy will be in the second quarter of this year. At the end of the year, it has rebounded quarter by quarter from the second half of the year. However, the unemployment rate has risen slightly due to the impact of fresh graduates entering the workplace. The number of reduced work continued to decline for the second month, with the largest number of people being implemented in the metal electromechanical industry, chemical industry, wholesale and retail industries.
- Taiwan's manufacturing operations continue to replenish manpower. An assembly line will be opened in October, giving priority to rapid replenishment of inventory, responding to Q4 market demand and increasing the two-day delivery rate.
Guangzhou MEAN WELL (General Manager: Aden Wang)
- As of 9/19, a total of 1797 confirmed cases have been confirmed in Guangdong Province, and 21 cases are under treatment in the hospital.
- 9/13 in Ruili, Yunnan, two illegal immigrants from Myanmar tested positive for the COVID-19. The city has been blocked from 9/14 to 9/21 and carried out nucleic acid tests. Currently, 287,254 people have tested negative.
- On 9/17, China issued the seventh version of the prevention and control plan, which was revised for the detection, management, and disposal of the epidemic; the original 14-day centralized observation was adjusted to 7+7-day isolation measures, but it must meet the home conditions of the direct flight entry port and twice self-funded nucleic acid testing.
- During the National Consumption Promotion Month, more than 1,400 consumption promotion activities were carried out in various regions. During the Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day, more than 1,300 consumption promotion activities will be carried out in various regions, including upstream and downstream, production, supply and marketing, and domestic and foreign trade enterprises.
Suzhou MEAN WELL (General Manager: Alan Liu)
- Last week, there’s no more cases identified in Jiangsu Province. So far, the total number of cases is 665, while 663 people discharged from the hospitals after recovering, with a mortality rate of 0%.
- According to the latest report of OCED, Chinese economy has fully recovered to historical trends before the epidemic, which was the only country of G20 recording positive economic growth in the second quarter of 2020. It is predicted that China’s economy could achieve positive growth to 1.8% this year and 8% in 2021.
- After the China International Industry Fair, focus on new customers and strengthen the contact.
MEAN WELL Europe (General Manager: Coleman)
- EUMW continue with anti-pandemic measures to avoid infections that might cause interruption of customer service. Scheduled travels cancelled and changed back to online meetings.
- MWEU maintained steady shipments to customers, current stock level increased to $6.6M. We expect more quantities arrive to our warehouse in early September so we can fulfill more urgent demands.
- MWEU continue to call-out for care and monitor customer project status. Along with short lead time MEAN WELL offers, we work closely with customers so they can win tenders and businesses in their market.
- MEAN WELL has launched online exhibition halls and planned series of online product technical seminars. We have prepared materials suitable for European customers and we welcome all customer and friends to join us online.
MEAN WELL USA (General Manager: Leo)
- Covid-19 continues to kill close to 1,000 Americans a day. But for those who develop dangerous cases of the infection, advances in medical care and the growing experience of doctors are improving the chances of survival.
- Since the first case arrived in the U.S. at the start of the year, medical professionals have gone from fumbling in the dark to better understanding which drugs work -- such as steroids and blood thinners, and the antiviral medicine redeliver. Allocation of intensive medical resources have improved. And doctors have learned to hold off on the use of ventilators for some patients, unlike with many other severe respiratory illnesses.
- Hold an online product technology conference, invite South/North-South partners to participate, the number of people is close to 300.
ASIA (ASIAN Regional Manager: Leo Wu)
- The total number of consultations in India exceeds 5.2 million, and the number of confirmed weekly diagnoses exceeds 650,000, which is the highest in the world. Indonesia and the Philippines have not passed the peak of the epidemic. The epidemic situation in other countries is stable and the second wave of infection is strictly prevented.
- Promote MEAN WELL's online exhibition hall to direct dealers and potential customers, and invite them to participate in relevant online product briefings to expand communication with the market and increase marketing promotion efforts.
- Continue to cooperate with suitable partners and potential customers to develop 3+1 (Modular, Rack power, System Power + KNX) projects to expand market share in various vertical industry applications.
Japan (Sales Representative of Japan: Jeff Fang)
- The number of COVID-19 infections decreased slightly in Japan. The new infections were 3,457 people last week.
- The Japanese House of Representatives elected the new Cabinet Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga on September 16, breaking the customary reform stance and inheriting the policy of the Abe regime. Polls show that Yoshihide Suga's initial support rate is 64%.
- Continue to support Japanese distributors and customers via Microsoft Teams. Invite Japanese clients to attend new products and application technical seminar on Sep. 30th.
Have good intentions, care our partners, provide the power of stability and assist industry to recover.
MEAN WELL Group Prevention Team 2020/09/22